Contact Us

FirstTrinityChicago.com + Welcome@FirstTrinityChicago.com + 312-842-7390 + 643 W 31st Street, Chicago, IL 60616

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Beer Bread Recipe

Since hospitality and feeding people is important to me, part of my Lenten discipline this year is to teach some baking skills to a willing student.  Roxy has been a great student and she and I have really enjoyed making the bread for Catechemunnity each week.  So far we have made chipas, french bread, pretzel rolls, and the most popular... beer bread.  I've given this recipe to everyone who asked orally, but I figure I should write it down :)

So here it is, the infamous, easy beer bread:

Preheat the oven to 375

Mix:
3 cups self rising flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 can of beer

Mix well, should be a bit crumbly.  Put the whole thing in a greased loaf or cake pan, bake about an hour until nice and brown.  You should be able to pull a dry knife out of it.

Now, you may want to get fancy with this recipe and I encourage that.  
  • Sometimes I substitute the beer for any other carbonated beverage... my dad will use sprite and add a half cup of cranberries for a lovely breakfast bread.
  • Sometimes I add cheese and/or jalepenos.
  • Drain a can of Rotel and throw that in!
  • Chocolate Chips = Yes.
  • Nuts = Why not?
  • Yep, you can melt half a stick of butter on top while baking.  I find this unnecessary and I want the vegans to enjoy my bread too, but it is popular.  
Enjoy the recipe, love your neighbors, and build relationships with bread!  

No comments:

Post a Comment